Wednesday 30 January 2019

Welcome to 2019

Hello all and greetings from Western Australia

As we're entering a new year I thought I'd forecast a few developments for the year ahead.

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the content on the DKW Auto-Union archive. I have received several very generous donations of Auto-Union archive material, sometimes in hard copy and sometimes scanned, which I have posted to this blog. My aim is to create a freely accessible archive of material which can be used by DKW enthusiasts worldwide.

Special thanks must go to Ralf Kopmann of DKW Maintal in Germany for sharing part of his vast archive of Auto-Union documents. http://www.dkw-autounion.de/

Thanks also to Johan Marais of South Africa for sharing his collection of owner and technical manuals.

And thanks to Peter Thorogood for sharing some of his rare documents with me.

Two-Stroke Magazine Archive

I have come into possession of a huge archive of newsletters from the DKW Owners Club of Great Britain from the 1970s. The production quality of these newsletters isn't fantastic but the information contained within is invaluable. The newsletters are filled with typeset copies of contemporary vehicle reviews from the 1930s through to the 1960s. There are lots of owner's tips and repair tricks which are quite interesting as some differ considerably from the official repair procedures. I've also found it an interesting time capsule of the issues and concerns of DKW owners at the time the company disappeared into oblivion and the owners valiantly tried to carry on without official support.

There are so many newsletters that I'll need to publish them in a separate blog, which can be found here https://dkw-gbclubarchive.blogspot.com/ It'll be cleaner that way. Some specific articles I'll transpose here.

1936 Auto-Union Report

I recently acquired a 1936 Auto-Union corporate publication outlining the founding of the company, the establishment of the new head office and a report on developments at each of the four brands. It's quite a large book in German. https://dkwautounionproject.blogspot.com/2020/09/1936-auto-union-report.html

In my 'real' life I aim to finally get stuck into my 1953 DKW F89P project. The car is now in my garage after being in storage the past year and I'm currently in the process of pulling out the engine (it is seized). I believe I have all the spare parts necessary so I am hopeful of making good progress once I get started. For details of my progress on this project, along with other classic motoring news and updates in Perth, check out my main blog: www.heinkelscooter.blogspot.com

Some recent video updates can be found here:




No comments:

Post a Comment