Saturday 10 December 2022

DKW Meisterklasse Project - Wheels


Another day of small steps forward. I set myself the task of getting the wheels back on, then the car be taken off the blocks and moved around a little easier. I think it's been on blocks now for more than 18 months!

The left front wheel hub went on without any problem. Then I started on the right and... problem.

The hub has a keyway that locks the hub to the axle stub but...

The axle does not have a key... have I lost a part? Of course, I started cursing myself and thought I would have to back to the forums to work out what is missing, then remembered there was a mysterious component in my bag of brake parts.

And there it is. When I removed the brake hubs 18 months or so ago I remember this semicircular part falling out. I had no idea where it had come from but carefully packed it away with the brake components.

And it slotted straight into the hole and then the hub went back on, no problem.

Now we have two wheels back on. The rear hubs have proven a little more challenging to get back on. They required use of a hub puller to get off and it looks like they'll need a lot more pushing to get back on. There are three sets of bearings in the rear hubs and they do not exactly line up as you push the hub back in. Special tools and lot of sweating is required I think.

Next update:
https://dkwautounionproject.blogspot.com/2023/01/dkw-meisterklasse-project-update.html
Previous update:
https://dkwautounionproject.blogspot.com/2022/11/dkw-meisterklasse-project-update-little.html


No comments:

Post a Comment